And why is it that when you wake up grumpy, your baby wakes up grumpy too? Now I know that it may just be my perception and it may be my baby reacting to my mood, but however you look at it - it's been a grumpy day.
I must say, some of my grumpiness has subsided (and it doesn't hurt that I actually have two sleeping babies right now!). But, I thought I would take this opportunity to reflect on some of the less wonderful things about motherhood. Because the truth is that I love being a mommy, and whenever asked I can share a hundred things I love about it. But it's only on grumpy days that I feel I can share some of the hardships, and they deserve to be shared as well I think.
So here goes - Sleep. I never knew how much I loved, adored, desired it. It's a wonderful thing. And I have an eight month old that more often than not does not sleep through the night. We've had wonderful stretches, starting at just two months old, where she would do so. However, she always seems to give it up. I know there are all kinds of ideas and methods on how to get your baby to sleep through the night. I've studied all of them and even tried a few. The simple fact is that I don't like any of them and in the middle of the night it is still easier for me to feed that little snuggle bug and put her back to bed than it is to listen to her scream. As I write this I think we may be improving in this area, but it's to soon to tell :)
Teething - why did God not see it fit for babies to be born with all their teeth? I know, that's a funny picture and I'm sure God had some good reasons, but teething is tough and I'm not even the one feeling the physical pain. And here's the next question, why does Natalie always cut a new tooth on days that Amirah is here? It's hard enough to take care of a teething baby. It feels almost impossible to take care of one when there is another baby in your care as well. Then the tooth comes and you feel quite accomplished. You know you are a mommy when you swell with pride at the sight of a new tooth.
Nursing - I love nursing my baby. This was not always the case. In fact I would almost say I hated it in the beginning and the only reason that we've reached this point is because I am too stubborn to quit. This being said, there is nothing that makes you feel more attached to your baby than nursing. This is a very positive thing, but can also be a very frustrating thing. I know this doesn't have to be the case - I could have bought a better pump or trained Natalie to take formula from time to time, but I didn't. And so I cannot leave this child without thinking about how she is going to eat and what I am going to do when she doesn't eat from me. Not only that, but I am quite sure Natalie is the worst public nurser ever - she was from day one. She is just so nosy that there is no being discreet. Oh well, I do love her nosiness (sp?), so I guess I'll deal with it.
There are tons more things that I adore about mommyhood than I dislike, so my next post will probably be filled with those in typical mommy fashion. But for now, these are a few of my confessions on a grumpy day :)
No comments:
Post a Comment