Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Security

I'm reading this book right now that I'm going to recommend you read, whether you like the title or not. It's called "So Long Insecurity you've been a bad friend to us" by Beth Moore. I didn't like the title. For one thing, I couldn't find it right away at the library, so I had to ask about it. Who wants to ask for help finding a book about insecurity, that's like wearing a big sticker that says "I'm insecure" isn't it? Then it's been lying around my house for the past four weeks (yeah, it wasn't a quick read for me) reminding me of the issue and alerting anyone that stepped into my house of the issues as well.

That said, I don't think I'm an incredibly insecure person - thanks very little to me and thanks very much to my upbringing. However, there are areas where I struggle and know I could do better. Our culture is like a self-esteem killer for women (and men, but I'm focusing on women right not). I think as a mom, especially as a mom of a daughter, I need to be aware of this and fight for security and confidence! I don't want Natalie growing up comparing herself to every magazine cover and TV ad. I don't want her to think that she has to look or act perfect to find value. And so I realize I have to model confidence to her. I don't want her to catch me looking in the mirror ten times before we can head out the door or trying on fifteen different outfits before finding one that is at least OK. And I certainly don't want her to hear me making negative comments about how I look and act or about someone else. I want her to see a model that handles herself with grace and elegance and treats others with love and respect. So, this is my challenge to myself. In all areas, I want to find my security in my Creator and out of that love myself and love those around me.

Here is a an excerpt from the book that speaks to our value in Christ. Instead of worrying and asking "What will I do if.....?" we need to trust God and say "What will God do if...?" Here are several answers.

I, the Maker of heaven and earth, will:

perfect everything that concerns you (Psalm 138:8)
work all things together for your good (Romans 8:28)
contend with those who contend with you (Isaiah 49:25)
fight this battle with you (2 Chronicles 20:15)
equip you with divine power (2 Corinthians 10:4)
delight to show you mercy (Micah 7:18)
meet all your needs according to My glorious riches in Christ Jesus (Phillippians 4:19)
give you grace that is perfectly sufficient (2 Corinthians 12:9)
be your power in weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9)
do immeasurably more than all you could ask or imagine, according to the power that is at work
within you (Ephesians 3:20)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! We can ALL learn something from this. We need to get our identity and security from God. Any other source will be disappointing. Well said, Angela.
    I love you, you are a beautiful Mom!

    ReplyDelete