Saturday, May 18, 2013

One Better

I finally started blogging the other day after a busy month and a half.  Then things got too wordy and I lost motivation to continue.  So, I'm trying again.  A few less words, but that's usually better anyway :)

I turned 30 the end of April.  I decided what I really wanted was a good, new haircut and a date day with my husband.  I got, and was very pleased, with both!  Here's a picture of my new hair on our day away - oh and my 28 week baby bump too.


I also decided I should have a theme for this milestone birthday. I'm reading a book right now called "Mended" by Angie Smith. It talks about living out your faith in everyday life and finding God's grace and redemption in the midst of it. There are several things that have stood out to me in this book, but one in particular that I've decided to focus on.  She talks about doing "one better." You'll have to read the book to find out what it meant to her, but this is what I took away from it.  

As women I think we can become so overwhelmed by all we have to do.  We have obligations as wives, mothers, friends.  Sometimes I think I am just getting by.  That there is no way I can add anything else to my plate.  Instead of that making me feel fulfilled or giving me an excuse to opt out of things, it often just lets me feeling overwhelmed.  So to me, one better means reading another book to my girls before bed, adding an extra piece of jewelry to an outfit, adding an new ingredient or dish to my menu plan, rubbing my husband's back for five more minutes.  None of this is major.  It's just one more thing that leaves me feeling as if I'm accomplishing something, making a difference, enjoying life a little more.  So that's my "theme" - One Better.  

2 comments:

  1. Love you and love your thoughts on life! I think you are on to something. Living in the present,and really enveloping each moment is what brings a sense of fulfillment! So many times we are so distracted by tomorrow that we forget the joy of the NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this! :) and you look great! Happy 30th!:)
    heather ;)

    ReplyDelete