Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fulfilled but Longing...

I used to journal. Sometimes I miss that journaling side of me. The side that was reflective and maybe insightful and longed for greatness or anything outside of what I had. In other ways I believe my lack of journaling shows a maturing and deeper contentment with myself and my life. I often journaled when nothing else worked and despair was setting in. So, while maybe I do miss the journaling, I guess I don't long to return to those days. That was before I recognized the man of my dreams, before I became a mom, before I found fulfillment in being a wife, a mom, a sister, a daughter, a friend. And yet, some days, I wonder is my lack of necessity to journal a sign that I've settled? I used to crave vision; I longed to see a life outside of the box I constantly created. Now, most often, I just ask for the strength to get through today. I used to cry out for a deeper understanding of God. While I still think I desire that, I most often don't take the time to ask. I used to be so sure there was a deeper calling on my life then what I could see or understand at the moment. So now, even though I am not completely content, why do I believe that I have arrived?

I think as a wife and a mom, I so often tell myself that it is wrong to long for more. I think that if I crave more vision I'm selling my family short, that I'm not recognizing the amazing gift before me. I feel like it used to be okay for me to be desperate for change, for greatness because I was single and very much at the dawn of discovering what life had for me. And now I've arrived? I don't think so. I'm realizing that this is just another chapter, and while I love this chapter and feel so much more secure and fulfilled than I ever have, I don't have to give up dreaming. There is something in my spirit that will always long for more until the day I meet the one that has put that longing there. I need to reach for the calling that is beyond the mundane, the day to day. But unlike my desperate journalings from the past, I need to recognize that there is fulfillment in today. That there is great calling where I am at. So here I am, fulfilled but longing. I don't think this is such a bad place to be.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciated this post. I'm still thinking about it but wanted to comment because I hate when people don't comment on mine. :) I love you, girl. Maybe even just the existence of this thought pattern in you is the quiet but steady approach of a new season in your life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think God created us to dream and look beyond, to hope and to expect the unexpected, but that does not mean we are discontent in the place he has us. Sometimes I get too settled and forget to dream... so keep hoping, dreaming and longing for more-more of Him. You are on the right track. I love you.

    ReplyDelete